Basic position of body: head, shoulders, ribcage, hip, leg, stacked up and connected, not tight, legs moves like scissors.
Spine transfers between positions:
- Spine split between 2 feet.
- Spine stacked over whole foot.
- Spine over front of foot.
- Horizontal action: release back leg, track, move to front horizontally, front ankle directly below front knee.
- Vertical action: Contract thighs, pushing knee down and backwards to create lengthening of the leg. Common mistakes: reach from knee outwards.
- Whole foot (or Flat): feet lined up with knees (do not turn out foot, turn out is from hip socket).
- Demi-pointe position (arch) - common mistake is missing this step and go directly to pointe position. Also, note that feet causes spine to move.
- Pointe: Feet is causing spine to move more.
"Working from floor on and up" - it's the feet causing spine to move. Common mistake: gravity causing spine to move.
Practice: demi - pointe - demi - flat.
Combing Spine movement with leg and feet:
- Spine over whole front foot, back foot demi-pointe (not turned out, which will cause instability).
- Spine over front of foot, back foot pointe.
- Release leg, track, ankle below knee,
- Split, front leg straight (all same time), Demi-pointe position.
- Flat (both foot)
Repeat: Demi, pointe, release, demi, flat, [demi, pointe, release, demi, flat...]